k Ibiza Carob and Dark Chocolate Brownie with Salted Carob Caramel k
Using foraged carob I decided to make this brownie recipe and they are literally off-the-scale scrumptious! So many trees in Ibiza (and around the Mediterranean) are laden with carob pods this time of year.
I highly recommend carob powder as an ingredient, you can readily buy it in health food shops or online too.
Carob is naturally sweet with rich chocolate notes and a beautiful caramel / mocha flavour – absolutely perfect for baking with.
These are the ingredients needed for making the brownies…
What’s more, Carob has superfood status being a powerhouse of polyphenol antioxidants, virtually fat free and high in fibre, calcium and flavonoids (that have have anti-inflammatory properties). It’s also low GI to stabilise blood sugar, can help lower high cholesterol and help digestive issues. Move over cacao…there’s a new kid in town!
I have to admit though that this recipe is on the indulgent side – but who can argue with the occasional sweet treat! I’ve used panela (a very raw unrefined sugar), organic 80% chocolate and whole grain spelt flour.
I believe they are as perfect as a brownie can be – a slight crunch on top with a gooey decedent chocolaty fudge-like centre. It’s the bomb!
For the Brownie
200g 80% dark chocolate
175g unsalted butter (or vegan butter)
275g raw cane sugar (panela)
80g plain flour (or gluten-free flour)
50g carob flour (powder)
3 free range eggs (flax egg: or two tablespoons flaxseed with two tablespoon hot water)
200g Dulce de leche
100g Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon carob powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (Sal de Ibiza)
1.Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3 and line a 23 x 5 cm baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). Leave until melted.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Add the sugar and stir until well incorporated and dissolved.
5. Add the flour and and carob flour. Stir until well incorporated. Finally, stir in the eggs and mix until thick and smooth.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until flaky on the top but still soft in the centre.
7. To make the caramel sauce, simply whisk all the ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
8. Pour the sauce over the brownies and indulge your senses…!