k Baked sweet potatoes with spicy chickpeas, asparagus and tahini k
This is a delicious, simple and hearty brunch to prepare. Whilst the sweet potatoes are baking you can crack on with the other stages of the recipe, it really is that simple! Once they are cooked you can smother them with a delicious creamy tahini dressing, spicy roasted chickpeas and tender spring asparagus.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene which can be converted to vitamin A to help support your immune system. They’re high in fibre and antioxidants which protect your body from free radical damage. Plus they promote a healthy gut and brain as well as reducing inflammation in the body, this complex carb will also keep you satisfied without a glycaemic spike. Asparagus is one the best food in the world for foliate; a B vitamin that is important for DNA synthesis and cell repair – you could say this dish is the perfect start to the day.
Tess’s recipe tip
When making the tahini dressing, double it up as we will be using this tomorrow on the baked aubergines. If you can’t find dukkah in the shops you can sprinkle over any chopped nuts or seeds of your choice (it just adds an interesting crunch to the dish).
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon curry powder (or ½ teaspoon chilli powder)
1/2 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper
Handful rocket or watercress
1 teaspoon dukkah (optional – or seeds of your choice)
For the tahini dressing
2 tablespoons tahini paste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon maple syrup
Pinch sea salt
½ clove garlic
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°c. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, place on a baking tray and roast for 40-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside, covering to keep warm.
- While the potatoes are baking, transfer the chickpeas to a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, cumin and chilli powder. Cook for 15 minutes stirring them once half way through cooking time. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, toss the asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet with the olive oil, salt and black pepper. Transfer to your pre-heated oven and roast for 10 minutes.
- While the asparagus and chickpeas are cooking, make the tahini dressing – add all of the ingredients in a blender (a nutri bullet is great – but if you have neither just use a whisk). Mix until smooth, thick and creamy – if too thick you can add water.
- To serve – slice the sweet potatoes open, drizzle about 1 tablespoon of the dressing, stuff with the rocket, asparagus, chickpeas and dukkah and serve immediately.